How to Calculate Your Personal Net Worth
The combination of what you own (your assets) and what you owe (your liabilities) makes up your personal net worth. Calculating your net worth statement is as easy as creating a basic checklist and doing some simple math.
- List your assets (what you own), estimate the value of each asset, and add up the total. Include items such as:
- Money in your bank accounts
- Value of your investment accounts (including retirement funds)
- Your personal vehicles
- Market value of your home
- Business interests
- Personal property, such as jewelry, art, and furniture
- Cash value of any insurance policies
- List your liabilities (what you owe) and add up the outstanding balances. Include items such as:
- Car loan
- Credit card balance
- Student loans
- Subtract your liabilities from your assets to determine your personal net worth.